Friday 26 November 2010

Camera-less Photography

This exhibition at the V&A is amazing.
It's the most inspiring thing I've seen in a long time.




It's all about photographers who make pictures without using a camera but instead they expose light sensitive materials in various ways to make images. My highlihts were Susan Derges Vessel Series showing the different stages of development of frogspawn into little frogs:





(these images were achieved by putting this jar on top of light sensitive photographic paper and shining a light through it)

And also Floris Neusüss' photograms created by the human body lying down on huge sheets of light sensitive paper. These image speak so much about the process used to create them, the physical action seems just as important as the image left behind. This idea of the process being visible within the image is something I've been thinking about a lot recently with regard to my own work and the photographers who influence me.






I remember really enjoying making photograms with objects in the darkroom when i first started to study photography six years ago, and this exhibition has made me really inspired to do it again.
I found this light sensitive paper you can use to make photograms using bright sunlight:

I can't wait to try it out, just waiting for a very sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment